Pregnancy And Lactation
- November 19, 2016
Pregnancy & Lactation:
Nutritional needs are increased during pregnancy and lactation as the expectant or nursing mother not only has to nourish herself but also growing fetus and the infant who is being breast fed. A woman prepares herself to meet the nutritional demands by increasing her own body fat deposits during pregnancy and a lactating mother requires extra food to secrete adequate quantity/ quality of milk and to safeguard her own health.
Meet the requirements for most of the nutrients through a balanced diet along with daily supplements of iron, folic acid, vitamin B and calcium.
Dietary & Nutritional Tips for pregnant and lactating women:
- Eat more food and the quantity & frequency of usage of different foods should be increased.
- Eat more whole grains, sprouted grams and fermented foods.
- Take milk/meat/eggs in adequate amounts.
- Eat plenty of vegetables and fruits.
- Derive maximum amount of energy (about 60%) from rice, wheat and millets.
- Good quality protein is derived from milk, fish, meat, poultry and eggs. However, a proper combination of cereals, pulses and nuts also provides adequate proteins.
- Mineral and vitamin requirements are met by consuming a variety of seasonal vegetables particularly green leafy vegetables, milk and fresh fruits.
- Milk is the best source of calcium.
- Take iron, folate (Green leafy vegetables, legumes, nuts and liver , meat, fish and poultry products )which reduces the risk of congenital malformations and increases the birth weight.
- Take calcium rich diet for proper formation of bones and teeth of offspring and for secretion of breast-milk rich in calcium and to prevent osteoporosis in the mother.
- Should take foods rich in fibre (like whole grain cereals, pulses and vegetables, to avoid constipation)
- Plenty of fluids including 8-12 glasses of water per day
Hire your personal Dietician during your Pregnancy & Lactation period and to reduce those extra Kg weight.
Talk to our Dieticians, Nutritionists and Weight Loss Experts to know more: Call/WhatsApp @+917065523000